First in 2004 (and later updated) Ben McConnell offered seven reasons why small businesses should produce blogs. A highly compact version of his list of Seven follows:
- Customer evangelism
- A feedback mechanism for customer interaction
- Knowledge sharing facilitates search engine visibility
- Simultaneous conversations that maximize the use of time
- Some blog templates are spiffy and may enhance the public web image
- Position the firm as a knowledgeable resource
These suggestions are sound enough, but in practice it's important to connect them with other systems, workflow and processes within the enterprise. That can be an added challenge for which the ROI is not immediate.